LMA Communication® offers workshops and courses dealing with personal and professional development. We also work with companies to tailor these workshops to the organizations’ specific requirements.
Designing and Delivering Powerful Presentations
Speaking before a group challenges many business people, but it’s essential to both individual and corporate success. Whether participants need to present to one person or a thousand, this course can help speakers
- Develop an opening that “hooks” the audience
- Clearly state the presentation’s purpose
- Provide pizzazz to help the audience retain key points
- Use dynamic non-verbal language to support your message
- Develop effective visual support that enhances rather than detracts from your presentation
- Avoid the most common presentation mistakes. Participants benefit from videotapes of their individual presentations, complete with constructive critiques and techniques to improve their specific skills
Listening for Leadership
We spend 45 percent of our communication time listening, but few of us have any training in this all important skill. This half-day seminar points out the need for effective listening and provides practical ways to improve your ability.
In this seminar, participants will learn how to:
- Listen for facts and feelings
- Control emotional hot buttons
- Listen for the entire message
- Deal with distractions
Breaking Bad News: Delivering Unwelcome Information without Destroying Relationships
The worse the news, the more time we need to spend on developing our communication, yet many of us either avoid delivering unwelcome information or do an inferior job of managing the situation. In this seminar, we will deal with
- Choices between the indirect vs. direct approach to a bad-news message
- How to establish the proper tone
- Presenting bad news in a reasonable and understandable way
- Build bridges that contribute to the health of the ongoing relationship
Managing Stress in the Workplace
In the last two decades we have made progress in understanding the importance of good physical health in our working lives. Stress has become a major concern to most people as they try to deal with the pace of busy lives. Pressure presents itself in everything we do, and the key lies in learning to manage the sources of stress and mange yourself and your environment.
Using a widely acclaimed video, class discussions, and self-evaluations, this three-hour workshop looks at stress and its causes and provides practical approaches to minimizing the negative effects of stress in the workplace.
Managing the Writing Process
This one- or two-day seminar teaches personnel at all levels to cut through the gobbledygook and bureaucratic words and write clear, concise, readable, and persuasive letters, memos, and reports. Participants will learn to:
- Develop a communication strategy
- Define objectives and analyze the audience
- Organize information effectively
- Edit for instant readability
- Design reader-friendly documents
- Proofread to avoid embarrassing errors
Before all writing skills seminars, we will evaluate participants’ writing samples to determine areas which need special emphasis and tailor the seminar to those needs. If you desire, we also offer post-seminar monitoring and follow-up sessions, if necessary, to ensure the highest retention of the course materials.
Managing the Technical Writing Process
Delivering technical information clearly, precisely, and readably presents a challenge to most writers. Although the the basic principles are the same as in the basic business writing course, this workshop focuses on writing procedures, documentation, performance reviews, and presenting financial information.
Brushing Up on the Basics: A Writing Fundamentals Refresher
This one-day seminar provides a quick review of the principles that hold true whether it’s a letter to the CEO of your biggest customer or an email message to someone in the next cubicle. Participants will learn to:
- Avoid the major mistakes that undermine effectiveness
- Recognize the most commonly confused words
- Punctuate like a pro
- Master the mechanics of writing
How to be a Star at Work
What makes a star performer? Are they born or developed?
You may be surprised at the qualities that can help you get the attention you deserve through using some star performer best practices. This half-day workshop can help you reassess your strengths and discover ways to use the talents you have more effectively.
The work shop includes pointers on fitting in at a new job and dealing with difficult bosses.
Developing Corporate Newsletters
Corporate newsletters, whether internal or external are an effective link to your employees, your customers, and your potential customers. This half-day seminar provides valuable pointers on writing effective copy, interviewing like a pro, and mastering story placement and layout.
Learn how to:
- Define your objectives
- Define editorial content
- Find material
- Choose the right style
- Write attention-getting leads
The workshop contains a quick brush-up on writing basics and discusses the principles of high-impact writing and document design.